Recipe Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 package (6.4 ounces) Rice-A-Roni® Jalapeno Cheddar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) no-salt-added or reduced-sodium pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- Prepare Rice-A-Roni according to package directions using reduced-fat milk. Add cumin, chili powder and thyme to rice along with Special Seasonings.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Stir in beans and tomatoes. Continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently.
- After standing time, stir rice mixture into skillet with onion mixture and continue as recipe directs. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Tips and Variations
- Tex-Mex Jambalaya with Sausage: Add pre-cooked, reduced-sodium, reduced-fat smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds to skillet with onion and celery.
- Calories 250, Total Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 4g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 265mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 4g, Protein 7g, Vitamin A 597IU, Vitamin C 7mg, Calcium 110mg, Iron 2mg