Chile Chicken Rice Casserole
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (6.9 ounces) package RICE-A-RONI® Chicken
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) diced green chiles
- 3 green onions, sliced, including tops
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with Jalapenos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken with 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink inside. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, saute the rice and vermicelli mixture in the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil, until golden brown.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups water, and seasoning packet. Bring to a boil.
- Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- While rice is cooking, chop onions. Add 1/2 cup sour cream, green chiles and chopped onion to the mixing bowl containing the cooked chicken. Mix to blend.
- Add cooked Rice-A-Roni to the chicken mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour and chili powder. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Place chicken and rice mixture in a round two-quart greased glass casserole dish. Pour the cheese and egg mixture evenly over the top of the chicken and rice.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes uncovered, or until topping is puffed, crisp, and nicely browned.